Saturday, October 2, 2010

Enjoying the weekend

Last weekend we went to Hallsville. It was my grandmother's 75th birthday party which was a lot of fun. I was able to see my cousins and actually get the change to chat with them. A friend of our family asked if I wanted an old sewing machine and I said YES! It's pretty funny...I NEVER wanted to sew in the past. Luckily, my mom didn't hold that against me and she's answered multiple phone calls from me already. I love the old machine. I think it was made in the 1950's, but for then...it was pretty high end. Made in Italy! I downloaded the instruction manual, but the thing can also embroider! Yesterday, I ordered the 'encyclopedia of embroidery' book for the machine from a website called 'relics'. Nice huh? It's not beautiful...but it's sturdy (and weighs a whopping 30 lbs). My first project was some curtains for our front door. I had a SAD excuse for curtains pinned up there before (insert shameful face here). I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. They aren't anywhere near perfect...but they're cheery!
On another note....
No one prepared me for saying good-bye to so many people in my job. One family is moving to Canada, therefore leaving us. They came up to work on Thursday at the end of the day and gave us each flowers and a sweet card. It's amazing and humbling to hear someone say "You changed our lives". In those moments, I know that every crazy, exhausting day is worth it. People will never know how much it means to hear that what we do actually makes a difference. I'm forever thankful for a career that blesses me in so many ways.

1 comment:

  1. When I learn to sew sometime in the future, we should definately do it together! Love you!

    ReplyDelete