Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our Love Garden

Darren is now referring to my vegetable garden as our "Love Garden". I've been instructed to not let it die. Guilt trip much? We loaded ourselves into my car on Saturday morning and picked out six 2x12x10 pieces of lumber and one 4x4x8 for the corner pieces. Lucky us, they make cuts for only $.25 a piece! TOTALLY worth the money....and we were able to fit the cut pieces in the back of my car. I was a NERVOUS WRECK driving the few miles back to the house. Stupid people....they follow too closely around here. A few hours, some hot dogs, and a nice nap in the yard later and voila! We finished one of the boxes!


Darren's dad was kind enough to let us borrow his circular saw and drill. Darren was a pro.

Apparently, I did not pay enough attention in geometry. That's why I married Darren! He saved me from myself and my poor mathematic skills. The good news is I ended up with a pretty cool shaped box for my tomatoes. You cannot have a 5'x2.5'x2.5' triangle. Go figure.

My first set of blueprints were perfect! But my logic was not. I calculated the correct amount of lumber and soil needed for two 4'x9' boxes and one small triangle. Well, I drew the first plans for two 4'x18' boxes and one triangle. I managed to fix my plans and I think things will turn out well. The long lines represent the fence.


Box 1 is in the corner and 2 closer in the picture with box 3 hiding against the wall
Box 3 against the wall of our house and box 2 in the bottom corner
I've become a huge fan of companion planting. It's a great way to use less space and provide the vegetables with appropriate nutrients and growing partners! My goals is to be as organic as possible. I've never been fond of paying a fortune for organic produce, but the more I can avoid pesticides the better off we can be.

My newest self discovery? I LOVE gardening. It makes me one happy lady.

5 comments:

  1. Very neat! That will be a fun project. The weather these days is amazing!! Thankfully I'll have a yard next spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! You go with your green thumb! And your shoes couldn't be cuter! What are you planting???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My mom bought me the shoes for Christmas. They're called Sloggers. I LOVE them. No wet socks for me!
    I'm planting lots of veggies and herbs. Chances are, I'll have lots to share! I'll have to send some your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! I want a garden! Becca and I miss you guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so much fun!! I have a lot of respect for you taking on a garden....it intimidates me. Can't wait to see your progress!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete